We would like to inform you about the following:
- The registration for the ISSR conference to be held in Louvain-la-Neuve, Belgium, 2-5 July 2015 is now open. Please go to the ISSR web site and follow the link to be found on the home page or under “Conferences’. The deadline for registration is May 15, 2015.
- The deadline for proposals for the ISSR Best Article Award and the ISSR Student Paper Award has been extended to February 28, 2015. For more details, please go the ISSR web site. The link is on the home page (http://www.sisr-issr.org).
- We would like to remind you that we are still seeking nominations for Council members to represent various countries / regions. Nominations should be sent to the General Secretary no later than March 15, 2015. Elections will be held in April 2015. For further details about the procedures to follow and the Council positions to be filled, please see Network 48, available on the web-site (“Newsletters”).
- Please note also that only members in good standing can participate in the conference, be nominated or vote. If you have not yet paid your membership fee for the 2014-2015 period, we encourage you to do so as soon as possible.You may pay your membership through the web site, under “Join”.
ISSR General Secretary
The post News from the ISSR appeared first on ISA Research Committee 22.
Le prix SISR du meilleur article
La SISR invite à proposer les nominations des articles en sociologie des religions pour le Prix SISR du meilleur article. Des articles publiés dans des journaux scientifiques en 2013/2014 en Français ou en Anglais peuvent être désignés par l’auteur ou par les membres de la SISR en envoyant une lettre de nomination ainsi que l’article, en forme électronique, au Président du Comité pour le Prix SISR du meilleur article (email@example.com ). Les lauréats recevront leur prix lors de la Conférence de la SISR en 2015 à Louvain-la-Neuve. Le délai de dépôt des nominations est le 31/1/2015.
Le prix SISR du premier article
La SISR invite à proposer les nominations des premiers articles des doctorants ou de jeunes post-doctorants. Des articles publiés en 2013/2014 en Français ou en Anglais peuvent être désignés par l’auteur ou par les membres de la SISR en envoyant une lettre de nomination ainsi que l’article, en forme électronique, au Président du Comité pour le Prix SISR du premier article (firstname.lastname@example.org ). Les lauréats recevront leur prix lors de la Conférence de la SISR en 2015 à Louvain-la-Neuve. Ils recevront aussi un remboursement des coûts de transport pour assister à la Conférence (1.500,- EUR maximum). Le délai de dépôt des nominations est le 31/1/2015.
The post Appel à nominations: Le prix SISR su meilleur article; Le Prix SISR du premier article. appeared first on ISA Research Committee 22.
ISSR Best Article Award
The ISSR invites nominations for an award to the best article on the sociology of religion. Journal articles published in 2013-2014 in French or English may be nominated by the authors or ISSR members by sending a nomination letter and the article in electronic format to the Chair of the ISSR Best Article Award Committee (email@example.com). Winners will receive their awards at the 2015 ISSR Conference in Louvain-la-Neuve. The deadline for nominations is 31/1/2015.
ISSR First Paper Award
The ISSR invites nominations for the first published paper by a graduate student or early postdoct. Papers published in 2013-2014 in French or English may be nominated by the authors or ISSR members by sending a nomination letter and the article in electronic format to the Chair of the ISSR First Paper Award Committee (firstname.lastname@example.org). Winners will receive their awards at the 2015 ISSR Conference in Louvain-la-Neuve and travel costs incurred for attending the Conference will be reimbursed in the amount of up to 1.500 EUR. The deadline for nominations is 31/1/2015.
The post Call for Nominations: ISSR Best Article Award; ISSR Best Student Paper Award appeared first on ISA Research Committee 22.
33rd ISSR Conference: “Sensing Religion” Louvain-la-Neuve (Belgium), 2-5th July, 2015 http://www.sisr-issr.org/
STS03 “Crafting a Nuanced Sociology of Religious Experiences: Realities, Sensed-Experiences, Discourses”
- - James SPICKARD, University of Redlands (USA)
- Géraldine MOSSIÈRE, Université de Montréal (Canada)
Sociologists and other scholars often write about ‘religious experiences’ as if these were only private phenomena. That is far from the case; they are social phenomena as well. This session invites sociologists to examine the social nature of religious experiences in any of three modes.
- First, there is the question of reality: scholars of many types assume that religious experiences are ‘real’ – i.e., that they refer to real events in the outside world, whether those events are in fact ‘religious’ (e.g., real visitations by real angels) or are the by-product of something else (e.g., brain manifestations). We invite papers that explore the social aspects of any of these views.
- Second, there is the question of experience: How do religious experiences appear to those doing the experiencing, leaving aside the question of their reality? What are their qualities, attributes, and consequences? How are they induced? How can we best grasp these as social experiences, not just as individual ones? Can any of the various schools of phenomenology help us in this task? If so, how?
- Third, there is the question of symbols and meanings: How do people interpret their experiences and what is the meaning they attach to them? This brings up the issues of language and discourse: How do people report their religious experiences? In which frames? What is the role of cultural, social and political contexts in these narratives? Are there standardized narratives on religious experiences? Finally, we welcome discussions of why people talk so much about religious experience today and why so many people think that the question of whether religious experiences are real is so important.
We invite paper proposals that examine deeply any of these questions on any basis: theoretical, empirical, philosophical, etc.
Please submit your proposal (abstract around 300 words) at the the ISSR website (http://sisr-issr.org/Program/ ), before December 15, 2014.
The post CFP: “Crafting a Nuanced Sociology of Religious Experiences: Realities, Sensed-Experiences, Discourses” appeared first on ISA Research Committee 22.
The Donner Institute for Research in Religious and Cultural History hereby calls for nominations for its annual prize for outstanding research into religion. The nominations should be submitted by 31 January 2015. The prize announcement is posted on our website: http://www.abo.fi/forskning/en/di_priset
The Donner Institute for Research in Religious and Cultural History hereby calls for nominations for its annual prize for outstanding research into religion. The prize is awarded to a researcher in the field for a significant, relatively recent monograph or article, in printed or digital form. The research should have been carried out at a Nordic university.
The prize sum amounts to € 5,000. It was awarded for the first time at the Donner Institute Symposium in June 2010. The prize committee consists of the Donner Institute Board.
Nominations can be made by professors, supervisors and researchers in the field, one cannot however nominate oneself. The nomination of a maximum of two pages should include a short presentation of the researcher and the publication, as well as a motivation why the nominee should be awarded the prize. The nomination and the suggested publication should be sent in two copies to the Donner Institute.
The nominations should be sent by 31 January 2015 to Ruth Illman, secretary of the Donner Institute Board. Further information on the prize is provided by librarian Anna Nyman: email@example.com
Turku, December 1, 2014
Donnerska institutets pris för framstående religionsforskning 2015
Donnerska institutet för religionshistorisk och kulturhistorisk forskning utlyser härmed sitt årliga pris för framstående religionsforskning. Förslagen ska lämnas in senast den 31 januari 2015. Utlysningen finns i sin helhet på vår webbplats:http://www.abo.fi/forskning/di_priset
The Donner Institute
PO Box 70
20501 Turku, Finland
Åbo/Turku, 1 December 2014
Ruth Illman, Director
The Donner Institute
The post The Donner Institute Prize for Outstanding Research into Religion 2014 appeared first on ISA Research Committee 22.
The Toshihide Numata Book Prize in Buddhism The Toshihide Numata Book Prize in Buddhism (or “Toshi” Prize) is awarded on an annual basis to an outstanding book in any area of Buddhist studies. The prize is administered by the Center … Continue reading