March 26 -27th 2020, Coventry University, England
The overarching theme is ‘From the Outside Looking In: International Latter-day Saints and their Neighbours’.
We are hoping for submissions that examine the ways in which those on the “outside”-both those outside of North America and those outside of Mormon faith traditions-perceive the institutional church and the process that enculturation plays in the church’s development internationally.
This includes but not limited to:
- The presence of Mormonism in interfaith activities,
- The role of representation and advocacy in bridge-building between secular/Mormon/mainstream religion
- To what extent does an American-grown religion thrived in international settings
- How have the church’s American cultural roots impeded its growth in other countries
- How does the church’s globalization compare to the globalization of other religious traditions
- The similarities and differences in the ways those of other faiths view the Mormon church in different countries
- To what degree do international church members adapt or repurpose the Mormon church’s practices to navigate their host nation
- How does Mormon women shape negotiations between Mormon and non-Mormon spaces
- The tension between institutional Mormon structures and secular notions of gender equality
Please submit your abstract to firstname.lastname@example.org
Abstract submissions should include a preliminary title and be no more than 300 words.
- Deadline for submission: 1 October 2019
- Notification of acceptance: 22 October 2019
- Deadline for final paper submission: 1 March 2020
For all general enquiries, please contact: email@example.com
To find out more about the conference please follow the link; https://www.globalmormonstudies.org/gms-2020-cfp/