Research Fellow, ‘Science and the Transmission of Islamic Knowledge in Britain’, Department of Theology and Religion, University of Birmingham
Part time 80% FTE, fixed term for 24 months
This position is for a post-doctoral Research Fellow to work on the new Templeton Religion Trust-funded research project, ‘Science and the Transmission of Islamic Knowledge in Britain’. This project will investigate how the relationship between Islam and science is understood and discussed by those involved in the transmission of Islamic knowledge and the establishment of Islamic authority in Britain. It will examine: if, and how, scientific concepts are used by Muslim religious leaders to legitimise their arguments; if Islamic education centres and religious leaders oppose any scientific theories, and if so what movements influence them; and how Muslim leaders’ answers to questions about science and Islam are affected by UK policy context and Muslims’ position within British society. It will provide one of the first in-depth portraits of whether, when and how Muslim religious leaders interact with scientific concepts and popular narratives about science.
The post holder will work with the Principal Investigator and external Co-investigator to conduct ethnographic observation of women’s and co-educational Islamic educational institutions as well as interview research with current and in-training Muslim religious leaders. They will also assist in research by carrying out literature reviews, conducting data analysis and writing up research findings. The post holder will be expected to engage in, and support, aspects of project dissemination, team meetings and international networking activities, including contributing the project-related websites, workshops and seminars. They will also be expected to effectively contribute to the presentation and dissemination of research outputs, including developing academic and non-academic publications/presentations.
Some of the responsibilities of this role are outlined below.
- With the PI and Co-I, negotiate access to research sites and interviewees.
- Conduct ethnographic and interview research at two case study sites, as well as interviews at a variety of settings around the UK.
- Undertake research administration and support the PI and Co-I in research management.
- Analyse and interpret data gathered for the project.
- Co-ordinate the collaborative preparation of findings for dissemination to academic and non-academic audiences both in the UK and internationally.
- Present research outputs at UK-based and international conferences and contribute to academic publications.
- Actively contribute to public reports based on the data collected and related public/media engagement activity.
- Work with Muslim educational and community organisations to set up forums for the discussion and dissemination of the research.
- Provide guidance to support staff and any students and colleagues who may be assisting with research.
For informal inquiries, please contact Dr Stephen Jones (PI) at email@example.com.
As this vacancy has limited funding, the maximum salary that can be offered is Grade 7, salary £30,942.
Closing date: 24th Feb 2021 Reference: 12098