NEW BOOK FROM PETER LANG
Islam in the West: Iraqi Shi’i Communities in Transition and Dialogue
By Kieran Flynn
Oxford: Peter Lang 259 pp. | ISBN 978-3-0343-0905-9 | £40.00
This book studies the historical, religious and political concerns of the Iraqi Shi‘i community as interpreted by the members of that community who now live in the United Kingdom and Ireland, following the 2003-2010 war and occupation in Iraq. It opens up a creative space to explore dialogue between Islam and the West, looking at issues such as intra-Muslim conflict, Muslim–Christian relations, the changing face of Arab Islam and the experience of Iraq in the crossfire of violence and terrorism – all themes which are currently emerging in preaching and in discussion among Iraqi Shi‘a in exile. The book’s aim is to explore possibilities for dialogue with Iraqi Shi‘i communities who wish, in the midst of political, social and religious transition, to engage with elements of Christian theology such as pastoral and liberation theology.
– Shi‘i Muslim Migration and Settlement in Ireland and the UK
– Shi‘i Religious Narratives in History and Ritual Memory
– The Narrative of Emancipation Among Shi‘a in Iran
– Narrative Shi‘i Opposition and Emancipation in Iraq
– Shi‘i Political Empowerment in Iraq
– Shi‘i Sermons and Narratives
– Catholic Theology in Dialogue with Shi‘i Narratives.
Available from <http://www.peterlang.com?430905>