IIIT SUMMER INSTITUTE FOR SCHOLARS 2013
Islamic Reform Movements After the Arab Spring
June 24 – July 3, 2013 International Institute of Islamic Thought, Herndon, Virginia, USA
Call for Papers
The International Institute of Islamic Thought (IIIT) will convene its 6th Summer Institute for scholars between June 24 and July 3, 2013 at its headquarters in Herndon, Virginia, USA. The Summer Institute is an annual meeting dedicated to the study of contemporary approaches to Qur’an and Sunnah that brings together senior and young scholars to present papers and participate in panels and informal discussions focused on topics related to a particular theme.
The theme of this year’s program is “Islamic Reform Movements after the Arab Spring”. The meeting will explore the implications of the Arab Spring on Islamic reform movements in the Arab world and the wider Muslim world, and examine questions such as:
1) How did the Arab Spring influence contemporary Islamic reform movements in the Arab world?
2) What were the reactions of major Islamic groups to the uprising?
3) What are the implications of the rise of Islamists to power – domestically, regionally and internationally?
4) What is the significance of these radical political changes on Islamic political thought in general and on the institutional practices and organization of Islamist groups in particular?
5) How will these changes influence the relationship between Islamic movements/parties and the Western world?
6) What are the implications of the Arab Spring for other Muslim countries? These and other relevant questions will be the focal areas of discussions during the meeting.
Deadline for abstracts is February 15, 2013 and for final papers is May 15, 2013.
The Institute will convene on June 24 and will conclude on July 3rd, 2013.
IIIT will publishe selected papers in an edited volume, within one year after the Seminar.
IIIT will cover travel cost (from continental US and Canada) and will provide hotel accommodation for scholars with accepted papers, and will pay each scholar a per diem of $100 for participation and $1,000 for a published paper.
Abstracts and papers should be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
For inquiries, please call 703 471 1133 Ext 101.